Friday, November 28, 2008

Givging of Thanks!

Sarah and I made the 5 hour journey northward as many members of the Lombardo/Blair family would commune at Grandma Mary's house for Thanksgiving dinner. Sarah's homeland of Camdenton, MO is surrounded by beautiful hills, The Lake of the Ozarks and the wildly famous Osage Beach Premium Outlets. This outlet mall takes the term "Black Friday" to new heights. The locks on many mega store doors are turned before the sun makes first light and they roll out their discounted goodies to rabid customers who won't be denied that $3 can opener! However, the outlet mall of Osage Beach opens EXACTLY on the stroke of Black Friday. Having heard of the legend of midnight shopping seven of us were unable to deny the pull of possible sales missed! When we arrived parking was scarce and people were plentiful. The line to checkout at the Nike store was more than 35 minutes at 2:00am! I was amazed at the dedication to the deal for so many people and yet I was right in the middle of it. We've been at the Lombardo house for nearly 72 hours and I've spent less than 45 minutes in specific dedicated time with the Lord! That's about 1% of my time here! I will sacrifice sleep, health and sanity to be a part of the largest shopping day of the year but I can't seem to find opportunities to be a part of the the GREATEST story ever told? Thanksgiving- a time for to remember and give thanks...or is it? For me, it WILL be. What about you?

2 comments:

Katie said...

So true, Cody! I feel this way about so many aspects of my life. For example, tonight I will probably stay up until 2:00 am writing this paper that is due tomorrow in my Shakespeare class. When is the last time I stayed up until 2:00 am praying, reading my bible, or just hanging out with God? (Obviously, this is a rhetorical question, but I can give you the answer anyway: I've never stayed up that late for God!) If I can spend so much time and effort on Shakespeare, why is it so much harder to spend half that with God, who is way cooler and more important (to me, and just in general) than Shakespeare? Not that I think God is asking me to stay up that late every night for him (cuz he knows I need that sleep!), but still...

Heehee, I think I just wrote a mini-blog post in comment to your blog post. Yay! Back to Shakespeare...

Cody Chaloner said...

Great thoughts Katie! I don't even like Shakespeare...well, maybe I need to read some more of his stuff!